A Detailed Guide On Rhinoplasty
One of the most common facial plastic surgery procedures is rhinoplasty surgery and altering the look of the nose. If you think that rhinoplasty is in your future there are a few things to keep in mind.
What Is Rhinoplasty Surgery?
If you are in the market to have the shape of your nose corrected, then you will need rhinoplasty surgery. This surgery is ideal for candidates who need assistance with their breathing regularly or may want to change the current look and shape of their nose. This surgery is able to change everything from the skin around the nose to the cartilage and even the bone for the patient.
How Is Rhinoplasty Surgery Done?
Once the patient is placed under general anesthesia, the surgeon will make an incision inside the nostrils of the nose and begin changing the nose’s shape. Depending on how the surgeon changes your nose, a second cut could be made at the base of your nose to provide a cartilage lift.
How Safe Is Rhinoplasty Surgery?
Rhinoplasty surgery is safe in the hands of an expert surgeon. Like any surgery, there are always risks considering, but most rhinoplasty surgeries are performed with minimal complications. It is important that you, as the patient, do your research and determine the expert level of the surgeon you are using.
How Long Is A Rhinoplasty Surgery?
Depending on how much change you are planning to have during your rhinoplasty surgery, the entire procedure could last anywhere from one hour to two hours. If your surgeon is only manipulating skin and cartilage that will not take as long as manipulating the bone. You want the procedure to be done correctly, so allow your surgeon time to get the procedure done safely and correctly.
How Much Is Rhinoplasty Surgery?
When you decide that rhinoplasty surgery is the best option for you, you will need to discuss the cost of this surgery with your doctor before you have it. This surgery does not have a flat rate cost and varies based upon how invasive or minimally invasive your surgery will be. Once you know the cost of your surgery, inquire about payment options if you are not able to pay the cost of the surgery all at once.
What To Do Before Rhinoplasty Surgery
In the days leading up to your rhinoplasty surgery, there are a few things you need to keep in mind and do to prepare for your surgery.
- Get lots of rest in the days leading up to your surgery: Your body will need this when it is time for recovery.
- Wash your face twice daily: It is important to keep your skin clean and as clear as possible leading up to the surgery.
- Drink extra water: Several days before your surgery, make sure that you double up on your water intake so that your body is completely hydrated during surgery.
On the day of your surgery, there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind before you head to the hospital for the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight: Your body should be on a short fast prior to surgery, which is why the extra water days ahead are so important.
- Do not wear make-up or other cosmetics: You do not need to have any make-up or other products on your face to avoid irritation during surgery.
- Secure a ride home: Since rhinoplasty surgery is an outpatient surgery, you need to have someone there to take you home once the surgery is over.
What To Wear To Rhinoplasty Surgery
On the day of your surgery, it is important to wear comfortable clothing since your body will be undergoing surgery. The top that you choose to wear should be a button-up top. After surgery to your nose, you do not want to pull a shirt over your head, possibly hitting the affected area and causing significant pain.
What To Do After Rhinoplasty Surgery
Once you start home after your rhinoplasty surgery, the recovery process begins. In the weeks following your surgery, there are several things you must do to maintain your recovery at home and maximize it. Remember that recovery looks different for everyone because every surgery is not the same.
- You will have to wear your splint on your nose for the first week to make sure the nose is set properly. Staying home and getting lots of rest during this week is critical.
- Keep your cardiovascular to a minimum: While you cannot return to full workouts, taking small walks several times a week keeps your cardiovascular system in good operating condition. This will assist with your recovery and overall health until you can return to complete workouts.
- Maintain a healthy diet: You want to make sure that your body is getting the nutrients it needs to help heal your nose after surgery and maximize your recovery.
What To Eat After Rhinoplasty Surgery
The day of your rhinoplasty surgery and even the first week after may prove difficult to move your mouth and do a lot of chewing. Many patients opt for a soft diet that reduces the need to chew. Food items like soups, shakes, and smoothies are great options to minimize any pain and maintain your health.
How To Reduce Swelling After Rhinoplasty Surgery
Swelling in your nose area is not uncommon with rhinoplasty surgery. Maintaining the swelling following the surgery is up to you and the post-op care that you provide to your face after the surgery. If you want to reduce the swelling, there are a few things you can keep on hand during recovery.
- Keep your head elevated when sitting and sleeping.
- Keep cold compresses alternating on your face.
- Stay hydrated to flush excess fluids
There is some swelling to be expected, especially if you have fractured facial bones as a result of your rhinoplasty. Make sure you keep up with these different things during your recovery to keep the swelling to a minimum and give your body a chance to recover.
How Long To Recover From Rhinoplasty Surgery
Since every rhinoplasty surgery is different, the recovery time can vary a little also from patient to patient. In most cases, recovery is quick and only takes a couple of weeks before patients are able to return to their normal routine. Surgeries that were more invasive may take a few additional weeks considering the bruising around the eyes, cheeks and nose.